Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Crazy Eyes Have It

Joe Navarro, a former FBI Counterintelligence Agent and author of What Every Body Is Saying is an expert on nonverbal communication. Among the more telling aspects of this are the eyes. Many among us have, by now, heard how if someone looks up and the left, it means one thing; if they look down and to the right, it means another. However, writing in Psychology Today, Navarro presents other indicators to an individual's emotions and cognitive states.

While he doesn't mention it here in his article on eyes, I am curious about how some people seem to exhibit "crazy eyes"--that is, that wide-eyed look that accompanies a fantastic story, as if the speaker is trying to use their eyes to physically force you to believe their statement. Some have posited that this look imitates the wide-eyed look of a child in hopes of fostering a sense of innocence and sincerity.

I'm still looking for semi-reputable sources of research on this. I'd certainly like to read more about "crazy eyes", as I have often witnessed it in paranormal witness testimony, including a woman who told me once of some hybrid bigfoot babies that lived in a cage at some woman's Oklahoma house. As I find more, I'll certainly share that data with you. Til then: beware the googley eyes!!

[FYI this is what I was watching that led to this topic: http://www.syfy.com/videos/Paranormal%20Witness/Full%20Episodes ]

1 comment:

Sharon Day said...

Googley eyes! I love it! Yes, I know someone who did that the end of every story told and I would find myself widening my eyes too which I think gave the overall message "isn't this f'ing amazing?" And, then a simple story actually seemed outrageously amazing.