Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bigfoot Indie Flick In The Works


Filming has begun on an independent venture entitled "The Lost Coast Tapes," which finds a 'cynical investigative journalist and his...team' deep in Northern California's majestic Humboldt County attempting to debunk a man's claims of having found a dead Bigfoot. Unfortunately, things take a turn for the worse and the crew find themselves chronicling their own fight to survive an 'unseen horror'.

Written by Bryan O'Cain and Brian Kelsey, the Corey Grant-directed project smacks of the much-abused faux cinema verite style known as 'found footage' employed ad nauseum since the Blair Witch Project by such films as Cloverfield and Paranormal Activity. In that sense, it would become like so many clones of the Matrix that sought that same fight-by-wire action style or "bullet time" effect. It's been done.

But! I can forgive them this IF their story is strong. If they can use this style simply as a medium to elevate their story and not a crutch upon which it must limp. Trust me, I'm rooting for them. There has yet to be a Bigfoot film that does the topic justice. The market is overly-saturated with blood-soaked, jiggly-boob offerings. I've long said it's high time for a smart, important work.

Will this be it? We will just have to wait. The film, which is currently in principle shooting, won't see release (in whatever fashion) until next year. I think this will give them time to work out any potential kinks.

1 comment:

Sharon Day said...

Yeah, I'm a fan following their progress too. I am excited. I'm always excited when someone other than Syfy does a BF movie. Fingers crossed!! I've been waiting forever for someone to figure out how to do a good BF movie.