Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Azores, Mysteries of the Mid-Atlantic

A cluster of nine volcanic islands makes up the Portuguese region of the Azores, some 900 odd miles west of Lisbon.  Located along the tectonically active Mid-Atlantic Ridge, the islands are known for their agriculture and tourism.  However, they are not without their mysteries either.

"I was on the computer at my home on the suburbs of Ponta Delgada in the island of São Miguel," writes an individual to MUFON, the Mutual UFO Network, about an event in June of 2009. "My mother went to open the door of our house when she noticed a strong light over a mount some miles away. Immediatly she called me and I went to see it. At first I thought it was an emergency flash light but then it started moving in different directions until it disapeared during few seconds. Then it appeared again for a little bit and then disappeared completely. The object was kind of oval shape, very bright white light."

Another Azorean UFO was captured on video while a television crew was recording near Caloura, São Miguel on February 28, 2010.



It was September 20, 1954 on the island of Santa Maria that a guard at the local airport watched in shock as a UFO landed. He was further astounded when a strange being emerged, walked over to him, and spoke in a strange language he could not understand. Must have been English--or Spanish. Neither of those languages were of much help to me while I was in Portugal.

It could be that all this UFO activity is linked to the fabled Lost City of Atlantis. Or perhaps not. But these islands were the favored locale for Ignatius Donnelly who, in 1882, wrote Atlantis: The Antediluvian World, a treatise (if you can call it that) wherein Donnelly established many of the concepts popular culture ascribes to the mythical lost civilization, such as advanced technology and the connection to the New World.

And finally, while not on the islands themselves, the following account does relate to Portuguese UFOs AND it has a picture to look at...

"I was in a vacation in Lisbon and in 19 september 2010 I made a trip to Sintra. I took this picture from a balcony from Sintra Pacace. The strange thing was that I didn't see anything with my eyes, only later, in the evening, when I reviewed all photos in that day."

1 comment:

Sharon Day said...

Super cool! I believe it's one of the islands in the azores they said might drop off into the ocean and cause a tsunami that would ruin the east coast. That video made me go, "what the chances that you happen to be filming and a UFO comes into frame, not only comes into frame at the time and place you're filming, but also makes a perfect trek from one corner of the video to the other." That pic is awesome. Gave me goosebumps.