Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Should We Be Concerned Over Designer Bacteria?

There are bacteria to eat up oil spills, bacteria engineered to excrete a waste suitable for a gasoline substitute, and now bacteria that can patch roadways. It seems like there is no limit to the uses for designer bacteria and yet I can't help but think there's a new global issue waiting in the wings. What happens when these bacteria mutate, grow, and attack? You laugh but when we're slaves to a master race, this paranoia won't seem so funny.

2 comments:

Sharon Day said...

You have reason to be concerned because the fact is, even if they design bacteria to be not friendly in human hosts and unable to inhabit us, over time they will adapt. Look at viruses that move from monkeys and prarie dogs to humans like Monkey Pocks and HIV? I'm sorry, but I refuse to get necrotiizing fasciitis from my roadway. That seriously sucks.

Anonymous said...

Ewwwww.....being a mortician (unemployed still - BOO!), I know that bacteria can destroy and quickly. I'm with Autumn, not so sure I want to walk outside barefoot, my preference, only to have to worry about my damn foot being eaten alive! LITERALLY!