Sunday, September 5, 2010

London's Forgotten Stone of Destiny

Whilst perusing Phantoms & Monsters, I read about an ancient British monolith that most know nothing about - even as they walk past it daily. The enigmatic and oft-neglected 'London Stone' sits mostly ignored in the heart of this ancient city, yet legend tells us it is directly tied London's success.

It may go largely unnoticed, but as these articles (1, 2) tell us, there are plenty reasons for taking a second look. I have a friend in London. I will have to ask him if he has ever heard of this lost bit of British history.

UPDATE: I went to visit the London Stone myself, sandwiched innocuously between a bank and a restaurant. Still a very overlooked bit of English history; my friend knew nothing about the stone til we visited it.

No comments: