Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Spirits Haunt Historic Missouri Home

A handful of miles past the Oklahoma border on I-44, in the small hamlet of Carthage, Missouri, which lies just northeast of Joplin, strange spirits haunt the halls of the Kendrick House.

Carthage is where my great-aunt spent her remaining years, and it's a stone's throw from where my grandparents were laid to rest. And not too far to the southeast, in the small town of Purdy, you can't shake a stick practically without hitting someone to whom I am related.

But I digress. This is all simply to frame why I found this story of particular interest. You, however, may simply enjoy another ghost story...

1 comment:

MARILYN A. HUDSON, MLIS said...

That corner of Missouri - part of the Ozark ranges - are thick in highly charged and emotional history. The Civil War, the struggle of early settlement, the beauty of the land, and the secrets from moonshine days. In some locations the very air seemed to carry the tones and scents of other times...thanks for reminding me of so many things...